Now, this might sound strange to some and like a lot of work to others, but this is a very fun and easy summer activity.
All you need is a plastic bag and 15 minutes…that’s it!
With no fancy ice cream machine required, take a look below at some of the different recipes to make your own ice cream in a bag at home.
- 1 c. half-and-half
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 c. ice
- 1/3 c. kosher salt
- Toppings of your choice
Instructions from Delish.com:
- In a small resealable plastic bag, combine half-and-half, sugar, and vanilla. Push out excess air and seal.
- Into a large resealable plastic bag, combine ice and salt. Place small bag inside the bigger bag and shake vigorously, 7 to 10 minutes, until ice cream has hardened.
- Remove from bag and enjoy with your favorite ice cream toppings.
Want to spice up the flavor of ice cream? Check out this recipe from foodnetwork.com and the different flavors you can make!
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 10 cups ice
- 8 tablespoons rock salt
- For the base ice cream: Stir the milk, sugar and vanilla together in a medium bowl. Pour 1/2 cup of the mixture into a sandwich-size resealable plastic bag. Make vanilla ice cream or add in your desired flavors to make mint chocolate chip, chocolate or strawberry ice cream. Tightly seal the bag. Put that bag into another sandwich-size resealable plastic bag and tightly seal. Repeat with the remaining batter and desired flavors.
- Place the ice and the salt into a 4-quart food storage container with a lid. Put the filled bags into the container and secure the lid. Shake the container until the mixture is frozen and resembles ice cream, about 5 minutes. Remove the bags with the ice cream in it from the outer bag and snip a large piece off one corner of each bag. Pipe the ice cream into small bowls.
Ice Cream Flavors:
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream:
- 1 tablespoon mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
Chocolate Ice Cream:
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
Strawberry Ice Cream:
- 1 tablespoon chopped strawberries (from about 2 strawberries)
Make Ice Cream Using a Ziploc Bag in 5 Minutes
5 Unique Ice Cream Flavors