Mariah Carey: singer, songwriter, mother, business owner, actress, producer, philanthropist — and queen of shade. For the singer’s birthday, let’s relive some of her shadiest moments.
1. Andy Cohen has a way of getting people to be shady on Watch What Happens Live, and he did just that with Mariah during a game of "Plead The Fifth." The host asked Mariah if she could say three nice things about Nicki Minaj, and after a long, awkward pause, she replied: "Can You??"
2. When she was asked during an interview if her ex-fiancé James Packer would be on her reality show. The interviewer said fans have been asking on social media if he would appear, Mariah replied, "Oh, he has fans?"
3. When she told Andy Cohen she didn't know J-lo. "I don't know her! Like, what am I supposed to say?" Afterward, when asked about the moment, her responses became more and more dismissive.
4. When TMZ paps asked her "Who is one person that's qualified to sing at your wedding?" She responded with "F-ing nobody."
5. When she went on Jimmy Kimmel to talk about her time on American Idol. She said, "It was a bleak experience, we don't have to go back there. But there were some good hairstyles. We'll stick to the positive. MY hairstyles were good."
6. She once again shaded Jennifer Lopez during a radio interview when she was asked if she would ever do a duet with her. "A duet?" She responded. "I mean, I'm not sure how that would sound. I don't what type of song that would be."
7. When she was asked about fame, and she shaded reality stars. She said, "Some people's goal is to be famous, not to have a craft or an art that they are famous for." She added, "Today, you can be famous just from being on a reality..well, doing... you don't really have to do much."
8. When she was asked during an interview about if she'd watched the Grammy's. She said, "Do you really think I watched that show?" She then added, "To quote my five-year-old son, 'I think its boing (boring said in a child's voice).'" She then called the Grammy's "predictable."
9. When she was young, Mariah Carey did an interview where she was asked about being compared to Whitney Houston. The camera caught her roll her eyes really quick before she gave her answer about the singer.
10. When she went on the David Letterman Show, and he asked her if she had siblings. She replied, "Actually I do," but then quickly changed the subject and showed him her Time Magazine feature.