It’s National Hot Dog Day! It’s a celebration of the humble (not a sandwich) summer staple. We’re actually in the middle of peak hot dog season. Peak season takes place from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Americans eat 7 billion hot dogs. That’s BILLION with a B. And everyone has their favorite hot dog topping!
Hot Dog Fun Facts
- Hot Dogs were first sold at baseball games in 1893. Personally, I love a good Fenway Frank!
- Mickey Mouse’s first on screen words were “Hot Dog!”
- Frankfurt, Germany claims to be the originator of the hot dog and celebrated the hot dog’s 500th birthday in 1987
- The world’s most expensive hot dog was sold by Tokyo Dog in Seattle. It was a whopping $169!
- Hot dogs were one of the first food eaten on the moon. Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong and “Buzz” Aldrin Jr. ate hot dogs on their 1969 journey.
- Mustard is the most popular hot dog topping. Ketchup comes in a close second.
- The New England Hot Dog also known as the Fenway Frank is boiled and grilled. And then it’s served in a toasted New England bun, topped with mustard and relish.
- The New York style is an all-beef hot dog topped with steamed onions and yellow mustard.
- A Chicago style hot dog has an all-beef hot dog topped with yellow mustard, dark green relish, chopped raw onion, a pickle spear, sport peppers, tomato slices and celery salt, served in a poppy seed bun.
- A Texas hot dog has salsa, shredded Monterey Jack, sliced jalapeños; optional: chili.
- A Seattle dog includes cream cheese, grilled onions; optional: sriracha, jalapeños.
- More hot dogs from around the world.
Hot Dog Toppings
Speaking of toppings, you do know that your favorite topping says a lot about your personality.Here’s the world’s best (un)scientific study of what your favorite hot dog topping says about you. My favorite is mustard and relish UNDER the hot dog in the bun.
One more thing…this is the best hot dog idea ever!