As scary as it sounds, some women have no idea when to get screened for Breast Cancer or tell-tale signs of this disease.
Direct from the American Cancer Society, here are some of the important milestones to get yourself checked:
- Women ages 40 to 44 should have the choice to start annual breast cancer screening with mammograms (x-rays of the breast) if they wish to do so.
- Women age 45 to 54 should get mammograms every year.
- Women 55 and older should switch to mammograms every 2 years, or can continue yearly screening.
- Screening should continue as long as a woman is in good health and is expected to live 10 more years or longer.
- All women should be familiar with the known benefits, limitations, and potential harms linked to breast cancer screening.
In addition, if any women are feeling as if something abnormal is occurring with their breasts, they should consult a doctor immediately. Better be safe than sorry.