5 Thanksgiving Fun Facts To Gobble Up: Share These With Family And Friends
Happy Thanksgiving! Thought I’d share some tidbits to chew on over your forced family fun time, and spit out at the table. Enjoy these 5 Thanksgiving fun facts to gobble up and share with family and friends.
- 1. Female turkeys do NOT gobble. Only male turkeys do that (of course!) Thanks for that one, NBC News.
- 2. Campbell’s Soup created the green bean casserole. According to their website, Campbell Soup Company employee, Dorcas Reilly was the one who created the fan favorite and did so using their mushroom soup in the Camden, New Jersey headquarters in 1955. “She was one of the first full-time members of Campbell’s Home Economics department—now known as the Campbell Test Kitchen.” Today, over $20 million worth of cream of mushroom soup is sold.
- 3. Thanksgiving was almost a fast, not a feast! Early settlers gave thanks by praying and abstaining from food. It was the Wampanoag Indians who helped turn the fast into the feast. We are forever grateful!
- 4. Turkey was not on the first Thanksgiving menu! Deer or venison, ducks, lobster and fish were. The did likely eat cranberries though.
- 5. Turkeys have heart attacks. As reported by Alexandria Library, this was discovered with the Air Force was conducting test runs and breaking the sound barrier. They found fields of turkeys that dropped dead.
I sure hope you enjoyed these Thanksgiving fun facts. Here’s a little something to lighten the mood on Thanksgiving, from Carrie Underwood. Enjoy “Stretchy Pants.”