Fenway Park Celebrates Halloween With A Hocus Pocus Movie Night
This time every year, Halloween fans look forward to watching what’s now a pop culture classic…Hocus Pocus. The 1993 movie stars Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy. It’s about the Sanderson Sisters, three witches who are accidently resurrected by a teenage boy in Salem, MA on Halloween night. Well now you’ll have a chance to check it out with thousands of other fans for Fenway Park Hocus Pocus Movie Night.
Did you know this about Hocus Pocus?
The movie was actually a flop when it first came out. It debuted in 4th place at the box office, and only made $39.5 million dollars while in theaters. It did then earn cult status, and even hit the #2 spot at the box office in October 2020, almost 30 years after it was first released. Here are some other fun facts about Hocus Pocus:
- While it’s celebrated and watched heavily during Halloween season, it didn’t come out during Halloween season. It actually came out on July 16, 1993.
- Leonardo DiCaprio auditioned for the role of Max, but ended turning it down to be in “Who’s Eating Gilbert Grape.”
- Leo wasn’t the only one to turn down a role. Rosie O’Donnell was reportedly asked to play Mary Sanderson, the role that went to Kathy Najimy.
- Sarah Jessica Parker had a tenth great grandmother named Esther Elwell. Esther was an accused witch during the infamous Salem Witch Trials but the charges were dismissed.
- Hocus Pocus is the first Disney film to use the word “virgin.”
What do I need to know about Fenway Park Hocus Pocus Movie Night?
The Halloween movie night will take place on Friday, October 27th at 7pm. It will cost $10 for adults and $5 for kids. But, there will be FREE trick-or-treating on the waring track before the movie from 4pm to 6:30pm. Again it’s free and open to the public.
Concessions will also be open to get some popcorn, Fenway Frank, or what ever else you may want to eat. You can get your tickets HERE.